Friday, March 2, 2018

Hard Day Today

I am up late after a hard day emotionally. When you teach, you can become invested in creating positive result for your students. Often, this becomes both a blessing and a curse. When the outcome is not what was anticipated, it can be such a let down. I am of the opinion that if you don't have this experience as a educator, that quite possibly, you may not be in the right profession, and/or you maybe burned out.

It only takes one bad educator to ruin, or almost ruin, a students educational options. Negative education impacts can create a downward spiral that some students never recover from totally. Just like bad parenting, there are often long-lasting effects, that may not ever be healed.

Too often, I bare witness to evidence that supports my theory. I can teach techniques and  other hard skills successfully to a wide range of students, but the soft skills are much harder to teach when there is some emotional scaring present. In my current role, I continue to lose kids due to noncompliance to the behaviorals issues much much more often. Patterns that indicate that entry into the workforce will be exceedingly difficult, such as poor attendance, are evidence that early lessons in promptness, and other successful behaviors are missing.

This population is in need of a break, a benefactor, a hand up. Americans are quick to write someone off without too much of a wink. Negative behaviors are usually symptomatic of the underlying issues that are plaguing society. Poverty, violence, low esteem, abuse, untreated mental disease, are some of the issues that keep the downward cycle going.

I had to sit on this post for about two weeks as I was trying to get some perspective. I am of the mind that, how our kids are being shuffled along in school, it is criminal. I have worked with 45 year old people, who graduated high school, but only can read at a fourth grade level with math scores of third grade. It's insane and I have stepped up to be apart of the solution.

It is hard work that saps everything out of you, if you care about your students. finale

No comments:

Post a Comment