Sunday, April 24, 2016

Gluten-Free Pain In the Gut

If you are not already aware, there is a lot of buzz over the term Gluten-Free. As with many culinary or food fads, most people that are jumping on this bandwagon, often times do not understand what they are actively participating.

Just for your information, gluten is a protein that develops when wheat flour gets wet. Gluten can also be developed in a few other instances, but the vast majority of items that contain gluten, contain wheat flour. Wheat-germ, barley, and other foods that are manufactured with wheat, or in places where flour is also present, can contain gluten. Those of us who are gluten-sensitive or gluten intolerant, the consumption of this protein can create a large allergic reaction that can be very unpleasant all the way up to life-threatening.

I have fibromyalgia. When we began attempting to test for the source of my medical problems, the first test that my PCP ran was a food and respiratory blood allergy panel. I have known since high school that I have respiratory allergies, about 12 of them, so Spring usually finds me taking lots of antihistamines. Last year, before the Spring weather arrived, I had two emergency room trips for unusual swelling of my hands, feet, and facial features. I woke one morning and looked in the mirror and I resembled someone who had been in a prize fight the night before.

My doctors changed my medicines for my hypertensive condition, hoping that it had caused my symptoms. Then another trip to the hospital was required, and we changed to a third medication. At that point my PCP, ordered the blood panel. I had previously been diagnosed with my respiratory allergies by way of a pin prick test sub-dermal test, which at the time was the most accurate test available, but at no time did anyone test me for food allergies.

The results came back with interesting results, moderate reactions to shrimp and sesame, but the big surprise was that I had a large reaction to gluten. It wasn't life threatening, but it was something that was causing great distressed my system. So the next step was to test me for Celiac disease, a complete intolerance to the consumption of gluten. I do not have that condition, which is a immune disease, my testing revealed that of the 18 known symptoms that make up a fibromyalgia diagnosis, I had a large number of them. Not consuming gluten helps to lessen the severity of some of my symptoms but keeping away from this food product isn't easy.

The American diet is largely made up of lots of wheat products, especially fast foods, so eating from the vast array of restaurants available can be tricky when you can't eat wheat. No fried items because most have a flour batter, no sandwiches, no burgers, some instant oatmeal contain wheat flour as a binder, no baked goods primarily, nothing on a bun, many breakfast cereals have gluten, lots of sauces and soups are thickened with flour, see the problem?

As a chef, I have always cooked the majority of the foods eaten in my house, but on those occasions when ordering out is considered, I often am out of options. Since the testing, I watch what I eat so I can be more comfortable, but even being careful isn't always enough. I ate some McDonald's fries with my daughter and had a negative reaction, I am sure it had nothing to do with the 19 ingredient formula they use to make the fries.

Fibromyalgia is hard to diagnosis and the chronic pain associated with the condition can often be misunderstood by doctors. I was, at several different points in my life, given diagnosis that only spoke to one symptom or another, for example, I was told that I have irritable bowl syndrome, which could not be treated in 1990's, but it was only a part of what was going on. Gynecological pain, knee pain, headaches, swelling hands and feet, sciatica, dizziness, memory issues, muscle aches, and a few more, all were treated as a separate issue that would come and go from time to time. I knew it was bigger that this day's issues or the next. I suspected that there had to be a connection to all that I experiencing.

Day by day, I have to deal with this and be mindful of everything I eat and drink. I have had dreams of good toast and jam, a smothered pork chop in gravy, or my favorite type of cookie that has no gluten free alternative. There is a sea change happening on our grocery store shelves and more and more items have options for us who suffer. That's great but even that has a down side. In order to make thing gluten-free, a substitution of the wheat flour for others such as a rice flour is required, naturally. These flours do not act in the same way that wheat flour does, and additives are included to give a natural stretch when bread is rising, for example. They also are not produced as readily as other types of flour, so the associated costs are much higher. The same loaf of sandwich bread that can range from $0.99 to $1.79, for example, can cost you up to 6 or 7 times the price of the original. This is not only a pain in the gut, medically, but also it can hit your pocket very hard. I am glad to find some substitutions that do a great job both in taste and availability, while some alternatives are expensive and horrible tasting. I'd rather not eat a sandwich, as much as I miss them, than to eat one on horrible bread that tastes like an old kitchen spounge.

If you too are a sufferer that has to avoid gluten, like me, and has found a great substitute for wheat flour, please let me, and other readers know, as I haven't found one my self yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment